5/27/09

Dog's Separation Anxiety

Training dog man Said:

I woke up this morning and I could not
believe what I was hearing. Dog killer,
Michael Vick, is going to be released
from jail today.

What I heard next was even more mind
blowing. Most of the people calling
into the radio show said that he should
be allowed to play again in the NFL.

Rachael had to listen to my 15 minute
rant and told me that I should probably
go for a walk to cool down - which I did.

Anyway, when i got back I decided to sit
down and focus on something positive.

I opened my email and I had three questions
from dog owners asking about separation
anxiety
.

I can't do anything about the Michael Vick
situation
, but I can do something to help
people that have dog problems...so here
is some advice for a very common dog behavior
problem
(please pass it on to anyone you know
that has a dog with this problem).

Separation problems are very common
with dogs. Dogs are highly social
animals and some have a difficult
time being left alone.

Separation problems can result in
housetraining issues, chewing and
destructive behaviors, barking, digging
and anxiety.

If your dog is having a separation
problem--the following are some steps
you can take to help him overcome it.

Step #1: Understand your dog's behavior.
Your dog is not destroying your house to
spite or get back at you.

Step #2: Your dog is highly stressed and
cannot handle being by herself. You need to
help your dog feel secure when left alone.

Step #3: Help develop your dog's tolerance
for being left alone. Your dog becomes
stressed when you leave.

Step #4: To increase your dog's stress
tolerance, you need to gradually leave your
dog alone for longer and longer periods.

Step #5: This is accomplished by putting on
your jacket, grabbing your keys like you're
leaving and walking out the door.

Step #6: Once you're outside, wait about 5
minutes and walk back in.

Step #7: If your dog can handle the 5 minutes,
increase the time to 10 minutes. Once your dog
can handle the 10 minutes, keep gradually
increasing the amount of time you're outside.

This does require some time and patience.

Step #8: Crate training your dog can also be
very helpful when you have to leave for longer
periods of time.

Step #9: Exercise your dog. A dog that has
separation problems and a lot of pent-up energy
will result in disaster.

Step #10: Bringing your dog to a dog daycare
may be an option if your dog does not like the
crate and if your dog is very active.

Step #11: The exercise and mental stimulation
at the daycare should help your dog overcome
separation anxiety.

Step# 12: In extreme cases you may need the
help of your veterinarian. A vet can provide
medication for dogs that are extremely stressed
when left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment