6/30/09

Stop Your Dog From Jumping

I got back from North Carolina earlierthis week and am still playing catch up.

I had a great time down south, ate some
great bar-b-que and did my best to
stay cool.

Anyway, just yesterday I was visiting
a friend when his dog jumped all over
me. I didn't mind too much, but my friend
was very upset.

He told me that he has tried everything
to stop the jumping but nothing seems
to work.

I told him not to worry, because I didn't
get the name The Amazing Dog Training
Man by accident, and that I would give
him three easy tips that he could follow
and I'm going to share them with you.

Tip #1: Exercise - Dogs that jump are
usually active and need to burn off
the pent up energy that they build up.

"The only good dog is a tired dog."

I've never had a sleeping dog jump on
me.

Tip #2: Re-direct the behavior. Dogs
are extremely social animals and give
it all they've got when they greet. We
need to teach our dogs how to greet
and this can be done by re-directing
the behavior.

Tip #3: See Tip #1 and #2. Just kidding.

Tip #3 is to reward your dog when all
four paws are on the ground. When your
dog jumps, simply ignore your dog until
he stops. Once he stops jumping, give
your dog a treat or praise.

This requires patience but it is very
effective.

Each dog is different and not every
technique will work on every dog. That's
the reason I have different methods for
different dogs in the Good K9 Manners
course.

There are videos showing you exactly what
to do and depending on your dog, you have
different techniques to choose from like:

The Cha Cha Technique

The Paw Shake Method

and The TTL Technique

Get all the details at:

http://goodk9manners.com/

All the best,

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment